drawing a day ~ week 27


drawing a day ~ week 27 Originally uploaded by dressform.

so... after the dark black this week's ice blue was like a cold shock... the line was so minimal, so quiet... i almost didn't know what to do. so i stripped it down. there's almost nothing to these... quiet quiet quiet shhh... they are sleeping....

i'm in for quite a few weeks of blue. all different shades....

i am so talked out... 2 crits today. i can't even fathom looking at anything aesthetic and commenting. i think my eyes are crossed and my throat feels parched, even as i drink water.... i have to say i was really happy with my beginning design class. many of them put forth SO much effort. it was heartwarming to see. after class one of them said to me that my class was the hardest he's taken. that it had the most work, but he learned so much. i just melted...

tomorrow one more crit but then all that's left is the grading! i also found out that they have to give my 1 day a week class to a permanent faculty member [low enrollment in one of her classes]. i am SO RELIEVED! i'll have two classes - only on tues/thurs. YAY for me!!

i want to end with a quote from this article that eireann sent me.... "the work of art in the age of manual reproduction" by vik muniz [an artist i really admire]. there is so much to love about this article, but this just rang so true to me. he was talking about how we have experienced so much history through half-tone dots. and how he was using them in his work...

I had to make these dots myself so I could know what they meant. Re-creating the pattern with my hands made me think of how much information we acquire through these dots. The hands possess an intelligence of the world we no longer see; a world that was and continues to be made by the hands of industry..... One would think that an aritst with a lot of time on his hands would have twice as many good ideas as the one who is busy carving granite, but unfortunately the brain does not produce ideas from idleness

uh yeah. if only i could be so articulate!

the book! the book! we start in 2 days!!

and... i've been thinking a lot about what mav's post on music and how important it is and what our favorites might be... anyone up for a music swap?? i'd actually be willing to organize it... just throwing it out there. mixed CD's to a secret swap partner..... ????

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yes please, music swap maestro :)
Anonymous said…
i love the whispery feeling of these. So lovely.
Love that your class is working hard! Yeah they are taking advantage of your wonderful teaching.

LOVE that quote! Going to let it bounce around in my head for a bit.
totally would be in for a music swap...
Anonymous said…
That is such a great idea! Music swap it...I am always up to explore new music....
Anonymous said…
What WONDERFUL feedback about your teaching! It makes it all worthwhile, doesn't it?
Anonymous said…
Oh oh, music swaps are so much fun. I got a mixed cd in my photo core class when we were doing 'inspiration' project and have not been the same since!! It revived my love of spoon, postal service, eels and more. Yay ness for new music.
shari said…
count me in for the music swap, lisa :)
zelia said…
yes please, I'd love to do a cd swap!
mati rose said…
i'm always up for a cd swap!!
Jan Halvarson said…
i love the quiet blue - so gentle. yes it must be so cool to hear that from a student. amazing quote! i think you are very articulate! and i would be in for the music swap too! sorry there's no flow to my comments tonight - a tad tired.
lisa solomon said…
OK... music swap is on!!! :) thanks for all the support!! SIGN UP!!!!

joy... sweet rides are the best! do you know what kind of car it was??

wendy.... thank you dear! isn't that quote GREAT! the whole article is... want a copy? i'll spread the love....

pat... yes... it does make it worthwhile!

jan... you are kind for saying i'm articulate.... i read quotes like that and think there is no way i can formulate a thought like that! i'm with you on the late night thing... my emails last night were in chunky 2 word bits! ha ha!
andrea said…
oh yes, quiet is such the word for these week's drawings. so lovely.

Popular Posts