how cute is too cute?


happy kitty bunny pony Originally uploaded by dressform.

my mom bought me this book in LA too [mom's are so swell!] it is really chock full of ultra cute imagery. needless to say i love it... it's funny how this once really hip notion of kitsch/pop being cool because it is so uncool has now wiggled it's way into the norms of society. [i'm thinking even those miller beer ads use this dorkeyness + acknowledging/embracing said dorkeyness = coolness. well at least they are trying b/c i still don't see them - the ads that is - as very cool]. so where is that line of saccharine sweet? can you push it to make it interesting or are we so jaded now that even that doesn't work? i don't have the answer, but i wholeheartedly acknowledge my fascination with things kawaii.

i'm in the studio. i'm trying to get motivated. i really am... it's not like i don't have things to do... there's a giant list... but i'd rather just not... [i'm hoping blogging will get me moving]. ok, lunch first and then work... all afternoon! get going!

by the way... i've uploaded the images of my student's work from this summer's beginning painting class... you can get to them here [look on the left for the listing]

Comments

Anonymous said…
Get going on that list. I have my own to conquer, not doing a very good job, since I am really surfing the web too!! (let out of work early - need to get creating!)
laura r. said…
if i want a book like that, i have to buy it myself, (which i did).
Anonymous said…
I'm a 'cute' fan. But there is 'bad cute' and 'good cute'...'like 'good kitsch' and 'bad kitsch'. It's obvious to the trained eye ;)

An example for cute with an edge are 'The happy tree friends' (http://happytreefriends.atomfilms.com/index.html) but so cruel I can't watch them. So much for pushing cute to make it interesting...

Oh, and there are a lot of interesting links to articles about kawaiiness here:
http://www.loobylu.com/archives/000256.html
'Hello Kitty' will rule the world. Can't wait.
:)
andrea said…
oh, I just love the title of that book. so cute! (ha) and on the subject of cuteness, I do find it funny how the appreciation for all things kitchy cute has grown (in epic proportion). I'm in agreement with anke on the whole good cute/bad cute thing...

also, enjoyed looking at the student work you posted on your site. made me miss being an art student.

Popular Posts