new years "plans"


new small drawings Originally uploaded by dressform.

this is a photo of the new little drawings I'm working on for the San Francisco Art Fair they are pretty darn small - under 4" - I'm excited because I feel like they are getting things underway for the New Year. I'm trying to stay loose and not get upset when one gets "messed up" - that's why I'm just working on bunches of them - in groups of 3's. (and that was the glass I was cutting with my fabulous glass cutting tool.... ohh... ahhh)

I don't really like New Year's Resolutions because they seem so darn daunting. (It's all the proper capital letters) I just feel like you are destined to fail and not meet your expectations if you set all these fancy Resolutions. There is enough disappointment in the world with out setting your own self up to fail - and so I shy away... however.... (perhaps this should be a However - with the capital - and maybe italicized for emphasis) I have been thinking quite a bit about what I really want to do with my time this Spring since I don't have a teaching gig and I'm not getting any younger.

I have decided to list some plans (in no order and of varying importance):
:: remember to bring your own tote bag to the grocery store. not that the free paper bags with handles aren't useful - because they ARE - but I don't need 30 of them under my sink!
:: get over the fear of submitting your work to galleries/non-profits and start doing a little bit of self-promotion (OK, realisitically I won't get over that fear - but perhaps I can shove it into the back of the closet as I attempt to send some packets out)
:: research some galleries/non-profits/residencies/grants to help you do the above and the REALLY apply/submit to the ones that look good!! (perhaps repitition helps to conquer fear)
:: spend more time in the studio with less or NO guilt. (the last part is the crucial point) I CAN be an artist by profession (even if I'm not making a lot of $$ at it). It is what makes me feel the most complete and satisfied and the dishes can get done at the end of the day instead of at the beginning.
:: look for and apply for more teaching jobs/pools. you can't get hired if people don't know you want the job.
:: make frothy milk lattes every morning for myself (I have been doing this and it is such a great way to start the day - it somehow makes that cup of coffee not just the necessary jolt to start the day but a luxurious perk)
:: read more fiction
:: read more art theory
:: buy a new computer (this one is overdue - and although I am going to wait until Macworld SF is over with - b/c it is only a few weeks away - I am NOT going to wait for the ellusive G5 laptop anymore. my ibook although it has served me well if FULL & TIRED! since I do make a living - well somewhat anyway - with these gadgets I just have to buck up and get a 0% finance credit card and buy the sucker! Uh - sorry to submit you to my own personal pep talk)

I think if I make this list any longer it will start to move into that resolution category... so I will stop for now.

Happy January 5th!

Comments

Popular Posts